Greater New Hope Baptist Church
New Hope Baptist Mission was established on November 23, 1933, as a Baptist Mission, by Rev. Chester L. Smallwood. Eighteen officers were elected and Rev. Smallwood was appointed Pastor of the Mission on that day. A total of 60 persons were present for the organization and election of officers. The first offering collected was for a total of $15. The Mission held its first service on November 26, 1933 (Thanksgiving night), in the basement of Mt. Nebo Baptist Church.
The following week the Mission secured its first permanent home at 444 N Street N.W., where the congregation worshipped for one year. Worship services returned to the basement of Mt. Nebo once it became vacant. Due to its rapid growth and overflowing services, Rev. Smallwood decided it was time for the congregation to have their own place of worship. The Mission located two vacant lots on Neal Place N.W. (between 4th and 5th Street) which they purchased. New Hope Baptist Mission was recognized as a Baptist Church by the Ministers Conference of Washington, D.C. and vicinity, at which time the name was changed to New Hope Baptist Church.
|Melvin G. Brown, Pastor|
|816 8th Street, NW|
|Washington, MD 20001|
|click here for map/directions|